Sunday 12 February 2012

Latest Golf News


Charlie Wi fired a bogey-free three-under par 69 to hold onto a slim lead but hard-charging Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson climbed into contention at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am.
South Korea's Wi, chasing his first win on the PGA Tour, was at 15-under 199 with a three-shot lead after playing the more difficult Spyglass Hill course on Saturday at the $6.4 million tournament.
"I enjoy being in the lead," Wi said. "I am sure I won't sleep as well as if I am in 50th place. But that is what we play for and I am really excited."
Charlie Wi fired a bogey-free three-under par 69 to hold onto a slim lead
Wi started his third round with a three-shot lead but saw that slowly shrink as some major firepower rocketed up the leaderboard, including 14-time major winner Woods and three-time Pebble Beach champion Mickelson.
Mickelson and Woods will be part of a marquee group Sunday that includes Woods's amateur playing partner, NFL Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. Wi will be paired with American Ken Duke in the final group off the first tee.
Duke is alone in second after shooting a five-under 65 on the Monterey Peninsula course, considered the easiest of the three in the rotation.
Woods rediscovered his putting Saturday to shoot a five-under 67 on Pebble Beach Links and was four strokes back of Wi in third at 11-under 203.
Mickelson was part of a group of five players tied for fourth at nine-under after his two-under 70 on Pebble Beach. Kevin Na (70) andDustin Johnson (70) are also at nine-under, six strokes adrift of Wi.
Wi, in his seventh year on the PGA Tour, has four runner-up finishes in his PGA Tour career but no victories. His nine wins have all come internationally.
Wi, who turned 40 last month, is the first to admit he has a history of folding when leading going into the final round but he is working on the issue.
"I definitely caught myself getting ahead today but I was able to get back to what I was doing and I was really happy about that," Wi said.
"I am quite a few shots back but I know that on this golf course you can come out and get a quick start and make some birdies," Mickelson said. "If I can get a hot hand early I can make a run at the leaderboard."










Tiger Woods is chasing his first US tour victory since 2009

Wi birdied the par-4 fourth hole on the Spyglass Hill course on Saturday to get to 13-under. He then had five straight pars, including the par-4 ninth hole to make the turn at 13-under.
He also made birdie on the 12th and the par-4 17th to get to 15-under before closing his round with a par on 18.
Woods charged up the leaderboard with one stretch of five birdies in six holes on the front nine.
Woods has 70 career PGA wins but is chasing his first US tour victory since 2009.
Woods struggled with his putter in the first two rounds but he started to gain confidence after making a couple of long putts on the front nine.
"Even though my game was slightly off today it is not as off as it used to be," Woods said. "I made a few putts and got it rolling. I had a nice stretch there where I probably could have birdied six holes in a row."
Mickelson knows that he has a lot of ground, six strokes, to make up Sunday to catch Wi. In 2005, he became the only wire-to-wire winner in Pebble Beach tournament history.
In 2005, Phil Mickelson became the only wire-to-wire winner in Pebble Beach tournament history



No comments:

Post a Comment